View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Heavier wheels may help when coasting (EOC/or MT in neutral) as they work as a "flywheel" but would be worse for FE in city driving as it would take more energy to "get moving".
The problem is you have to accelerate that flywheel first.
Combining al the various inefficiencies along the way - starting with the engine - you'll never get back what you put in.

Coasting is mostly driven by your car's kinetic energy versus its mechanical / aero drag. Rotational weight isn't going to alter that very much either way.

Quote:
At highway speeds (consistant speeds) they may not make a difference.
You still have to accelerate them to highway speed first - which is a loss.

Unless they are aerodynamically clean and mostly closed, they won't give an advantage.

I get around the same fuel consumption on heavy "aero" summer wheels with LRR summer tyres, than I get with the considerably lighter "open" winter wheel and LRR winter tyres.

Quote:
The reason I ask is I was wondering if the combination of good LRR tires on factory "steelies" would be good.
The advantage of LRR tires over regular ones would give an FE bump, but would it be offset by the heavier wheels?
Steelies aren't all that heavy.

Some alloy wheels with a lot of metal - like my summer wheels - are actually heavier than steel rims of the same size.

Quote:
I'm not a really smart guy, I am just wondering what the opinion of the ecomodders here is.
I wouldn't bother too much.

Don't buy lighter alloy rims just for the reduced weight and FE benefits - they'll never repay themselves.

If you want buy them (for looks), buy light wheels.

Though if you cover them for the improved aerodynamics, the good looks are gone as well ... unless you get Vekke's clear covers or make some yourself.

Last edited by euromodder; 07-14-2012 at 06:38 PM..