View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #276 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
A: Good fuel economy and good perfomance
B: Great fuel economy and okay perfomance
If you were only trying to market to the folks on this site, then option B would be the way to go. However, I think you'll get a lot farther by going with option A, as you have. There's more people and more money out there to appeal to that way.
No one's going to buy this car as a fun car. No one buys a Prius for its driving dynamics. If you're going to make a 100mpg commuter car, make fuel economy your priority. If you put out a car like this that does 80mpg and 0-60 in 6 seconds, people are going to say-

A: Why didn't you focus and make 100mpg?
B: Why didn't you focus and make 0-60 in 4?

If you start with a novel solution then compromise it no one will care, period. Decide what it's going to be and do that. With a car this small you can have more than the average two car garage. Imagine fitting two of these into one garage stall, with the other stall occupied by a Mustang.

Of course there are some people who will say, "Hey, 80mpg is twice what my Sonata Hybrid gets." But for every one of those there will be five that say, "It does several things decently, but for the money I want it to do one thing really well."

What is that one thing? Efficiency or performance?