View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
how much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauki View Post
Hi, I know this has been discussed a lot, and I have searched almost every post on here but I have yet to find many good designs that would significantly reduce aero. I know a guy in Valencia (sorry forgot your username) has some awesome designs/ideas. I have been toying with some designs using the classic tear drop shape template C and this is what I have come up with.

Attachment 11158

Attachment 11159

Access would be via a hydraulic assisted opening at the rear.

My main question is, I don't want to taper off completely, I want a sort of boat tail, how much will this impact? Reason being the more I can chop off the end, the bigger opening I can have, which is pretty important as it is a cargo trailer.

If anyone else has done the same sort of idea, or has actually got around to building they're aero trailer and has fuel figures please chime in.
If you'll do a Search EcoModder for 'Full-boat-tail trailer' and go to page 25,#248 permalink you'll find some pictorial drag tables which will show the impact of edge radii.
For my trailer projects,the most recent,with the gap-fillers,has registered the highest ever mpg for the towing vehicle.
Without the trailer the highest-ever mpg was 39.With the trailer,I've seen as high as 47.8,at 65 mph.The trailer weighs over 700-lbs (318 kg).
The trailer is yet incomplete and may perform a bit better if I can ever finish it.
I'm very encouraged with results so far.I think that you'll like yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Hauki (07-16-2012)