View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

I weigh in a 243 @ 6" 2" and my E 900 Ducati Elefant has no problem propelling me fast enough to get to see the Traffic Judge.
Like was said, any bike that can carry two up can carry you just fine.

But I have to ask! If you are wanting economy, why are you going to a Ducati?
My 900 only gets 34 MPG but my KLR will give me 48 MPG consistently.

For 15 years my commute was 40 miles one way and mostly highway speeds. I took turns riding both bikes for over 6 years an had no problem keeping up with or ahead of traffic on either of them.
But I could have just as easily done it on a 600 cc's. You see I rode my 600cc RFR Suzuki for five years before the Ducati and KLR. And it got 55 MPG with zero mods.

So if you looking for economy look for a smaller displacement. But if you want to go like your hair is on fire and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy what ever you want. 270 lbs is not a real issue unless you are looking at 150 cc scooters for highways.

Since you ask this question several months ago I'm sure you've made a decision on this already so fess up. Which way dod you go. For the price of a Ducati you could get an air conditioned cage that will go close the same MPG. But not near as much fun.