View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
BBrown7888
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
It all depends on what you want out of your vehicle, what your price range is, and what your level of mechanical inclination is. I don't have the time or money to invest into something that needs TLC. I needed something dependable and economic, and so bought the Yaris. Older cars aren't going to have airbags, CD players with MP3 hookups or electric steering (no power steering pump). They also will need a lot of miscellaneous service and are more at risk for needing head gasket or other pain-in-the-*** repair.
I want a no comprimise car built strictly for max MPG's.
price range on a car is less than $2,000.
I'm mechanically inclined so I'll be doing all the work my self. What ever I buy I actually plan on doing the head gasket on day 1, that way I can see the internals and make sure everything looks strong and clean the valves, valve seats and manifolds to ensure good air flow.

Quote:
Would I say "don't do the things on your laundry list?"
Absolutely not. I would just say, keep these things in mind. For example, I haven't had the time to start aeromodding yet and I'm still satisfied with my improvement in MPGs from my old vehicle..
I'll give it a week or two to make sure I bought the right car and to see it an electrical or suspensoin issues pop up before I start cutting and fabricating body panels.

Quote:
Hydrogen is definitely exaggerated, by the way. I won't say that the members of this forum are perfect, but I highly doubt you will find a more realistic bunch. If you read up on it in this forum, you'll probably come to realize that seeing a "20% improvement in MPGs" is utter horse****.
I know I'm not going to see a 20% increase in MPG's but how I see it is if my car runs off of 20% hydrogen that means 1 out of every 5 gallons of gas if free.

Anyway, good luck and again, welcome!

Quote:
EDIT: As for vehicle suggestions, everyone is in love with the Metro on here, and I can't say it's a bad vehicle for MPGs, but I personally don't trust them in crashes. Anything Toyota or Honda is going to treat you right, and if you get a Honda Civic from the 90s with Lean Burn, you are going to be hitting 40 MPG without much effort.
Would a metro be a better start than a CRX?