View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #224 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offalot View Post
Curtis. What was your motivation for replacing all your stock instrumentation with the vapor? It looks tempting, but not too sure what I would gain from it and don't want to lose my stock odo settings.

I ride a KLR and although I did put a bigger wattage generator on it, I wanted to put on some larger driving lights on it. So after converting all my bulbs to LED's I decided to go with the Vapor. The biggest advantage is it had a digital water temp gauge so I don't have to worry about overheating it. The old analog gauge in the stock gauges is a hand grenade gauge. It will get you close enough right up to the point the engine blows up without warning.

So the accuracy of the gauges was the biggest selling point. I found the stock speedo was always a few miles an hour faster than the GPS said I was going. Now they are both right on the money! So I can leave the GPS at hoime for riding around locally.

The Vapor also save me a lot more room on the bike for other stuff. It just has more features than the KLR Stock Gauges could ever hope for. And since I do a lot of cross country back woods riding it's nice to know exactly how far I've ridden.

Also it even though it takes up half the space of the stock gauge an has a built in clock that is lit up at night.