View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Josh8loop
Definately a Modder!

I used WVO on a 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5 L diesel for 10 months. Initially after I created my fuel heating system, and some other engine mods the engine was running great. It didn't like to start on WVO that's for sure, but once it was up to temp, it ran well. I LOVED the smell of the veggie, and miss it to this day. After 5-6 mths I had issues with my fuel filters clogging. I added stainless steel cleanable prefilters to help deal with chunks getting through the fuel system. The oil was completely dry and settled for a month before useage, and was filtered down to at least 5 micron. Most times it was brought down to 1 micron. As far as the WVO quality, I don't think I could have gotten any better unless I adapted a centrifuge system. What I learned the hard way is that if the WVO is not atomized well enough(due to fuel temp or low injection pressure/poor nozzles) it will wash down into the engine oil and dilute it. It also gums up the piston rings, and can cause them to not move like they should. Non moving rings, and diluted engine oil are very bad things! I also noticed growth in the steel fuel tank. There were large flakes of reddish brown gunk that was coating the inside of the fuel tank, and was the worst where the fuel met air inside the tank. This was what was clogging my filters so frequently. I knew my fuel going into the tank didn't have that junk in it when it was going into the tank, so what gives??

After some research I found that used veggie oil is a very strange chemical animal and no two batches are the same. Some oil is fried at certain temps and exposed to certain cooking ingredients, and some is exposed to a whole different gamut of things. This chemical inconsistancy combined with the fact that veggie oil tends to pick up trace metal elements like copper and brass which catalyzes other chemical reactions was what was causing my fuel component system growths. Since most folks use brass and copper components or copper and brass bearing components in fuel injection systems or fuel preheating systems allows it to receive plenty of catalyst to allow a whole host of unanticipated chemical reactions to happen. My whole fuel system was full of these types of growths on very critical functioning fuel system components, and functionality was severely degraded as a result. Take that for what it's worth!

If I were going to use veggie oil on a vehicle I would move toward a different type of injection strategy-namely one that totally volatalizes the fuel so it was be combusted in a completely homogenous form as an percentage of total fuel delivered to the engine. For instance use the injection system in the car to control start of injection timing, and allow it to supply 100% of total fuel need for initial startup and warm up. Once things are warmed up and ready to go, introduce the volatalized gasseous veggie oil into the engine but limit it to only 40-60% of the total fuel introduced. This way it would allow you to supplement your normal fuel of choice(D2, or bioD) with the veggie oil and not cause issues to fuel system components, and be introduced in a way that the vehicle can readily make use of it. I have created a prototype and experimented with a system just like this during my work for a company to create a fuel saving device. I was never able to finish that project for that company since they terminated that part of their business, but what I learned is still fresh in my mind.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=306799&page=4