View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
arvinsamra
EcoModding Lurker

Cavalier - '00 cavalier 4 door auto
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Driving smart can go long way.

hello everyone,

I have a Chevy Cavalier 2000 auto with no mods with what so every.
I regularly get 32-34( rated 21 city, 29 highway) miles per gallon on 25% city, 75% highway (approximately), which is not bad for cavalier.

This week I decided to drive little more sensible and effect was significant. I had 570 km on 36 liters of gas (37.23 mpg). I was driving on small highway where speed limit is 80km but I was driving around 95km most of the time. I don't believe that slowing down the traffic behind you is a fair game. Going with the flow is safe and considerate to other people on road.

I don't do pulse and glide or any other thing. It is simple cruise when every possible.
List of this I did differently.

1. Letting off the gas or breaking the cruise when approaching small towns so I don't have to use brakes to slow down to 60 km zone.

2. Breaking the cruise on uphills. ( My route takes me through numerous small uphills where car will downshift if i don't break cruse). My speed will drop to about 80 km when i reach the top without down shifting.

3. If anticipating red light and break the cruise well before the red light so either it will turn green or I only have to brake when i am going maybe 30 to 40 km instead of 80 to 90 km.

I accelerated slight slower than traffic but nothing too painful for other traffic.

The point I want to make is that one biggest thing we can do to improve fuel mileage is to drive sensible.