View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
james.lafrance
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Good to know, thanks folks. I haven't noticed any growth or build up in my little tank, but I will take a good look again later, and see if i can get a 'swab' sample of the side or bottom of it. As far as the WVO gumming stuff up, well the only problem i've had was the failure of the selector valve, that i found upon examination after taking it out that it had a 'gummed' up internals, but i did not test it to see if it was actually ceased. the other factor to that problem was a small rub in the fuel line going to engine had developed an air leak.
with that in mind, and from what ive seen with WVO, when WVO is exposed to air it gels and gums up, but if left in an air tight vessel that gumming and such NEVER occurs. also there are hundreds of different types of VOs that are used for frying, and your climate is a factor, as well as a few other variables....peanut, soy, coconut, olive, corn, rapeseed, hemp, jathro, there's a bunch of different types of oil that a WVO enthusiast can run into and each has similar yet DIFFERENT characteristics... there are ways to test your oil to determine: free fatty acids, Ph, viscosity, etc. on top of that you have to deal with the human factor- EVERY BATCH is different. each restaurant has different chefs, and different chefs fry different things, and change their oil at different times, etc. one may have a lot of FFA and one might have alot of water cooked in it. i can't say that I practice what I preach 100% but I am aware of it and try to KNOW MY OIL and know what it is i'm gonna be putting in my engine that i rely on getting to work with.

Now for the 'decarbonization'. I haven't learned to much about that one, but right now i'm not fully convinced. is this a process for newer engines or is it something that will work on all diesels? what about this on a gas engine?

The only experience i have with MIXING WVO is a 50/50 blend with Kero. I used this on an oil fired furnace in my home for a winter. I had problems with it lighting, but ran good for most of the winter. I ended up using a small container of heat fuel (diesel) to start it and then would switch to my blend (same theory as in the vehicle minus a heat exchange). towards the end of the winter i began to have problems with it even running consistently on heat fuel. then again that aint a diesel, it's a whole nother animal... but i did learn something there.

IMO, i've learned that heated diesel fuel (say diesel you put in your WVO tank) will pass by the pistons and mix or displace your engine oil. A very bad thing to occur. so unless you heat your setup with electric, or have valves & bypasses on your 'engine coolant' heated WVO lines, with out having a way to turn off the heat i wouldn't run diesel through it, straight or mixed. that's my opinion, but it is fact that heated diesel will go past the pistons and its bad.

now josh8loop, i like what your talking about in regards to the complete combustion/''volitalization'' that's needed. Possibly injector work, tighter springs in them would mean higher pressure, meaning more complete mist, right? water vapors help this process? why not just use a nebulizer and have real true vapors going in there? if it can all be burned then there will be nothing left to 'polimerize' inside the engine, problem solved. hah

thanks folks, good food for thought!