View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In most conventional automatic transmissions the primary pump is driven off of the torque converter. As long as the engine is running you have pressure for lubrication and to activate the bands which clamp down on planetary gear sets for power to the wheels.
Never coast engine off in any conventional AT because you have stopped all lubrication.

I would not even risk it if the owners manual said flat towing was OK. Cars have data recorders that show what you were doing and that would allow the manufacturer a way to deny any warranty claim.

I coast my 2011 Fiesta in neutral regularly, but it is a salvage rebuilt vehicle with no manufacturer's warranty. I have reengaged drive as high as 75 MPH without issues. The transmission control unit apparently detects vehicle speed and picks the appropriate gear when I re-engage drive. It usually goes to 6th (highest) gear then to a lower gear if my speed is below 40 MPH.

My powershift 6 speed is an automated manual transmission, completely different from your Toyota. I have coasted in neutral in my 06 Corolla without issues. I think you should be fine, but then take any advice at it's value, which in my case is.

"I ain't paying for your broken transmission!"

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Atheria (07-20-2012)