View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #163 (permalink)
meister_sd
EcoModding Lurker

I finally have a bit of an update. During the big search of hybrids and the different sites I searched, which included the link that brought me here, I had one blog that stuck in my mind that at the bottom, someone commented on his car having the failed IMA battery warning light too but fixed it after replacing the regular 12v battery. Well, after speaking with the client and asking him when was the last time that he replaced it, he answered that he couldn't remember. So I went to a local parts store, bought a new 12v battery and replaced the one in there. Come to find out it is Honda branded so either it is OEM (unlikely) or replaced so far back at the dealer he didn't remember. I fired up the car, drove it out of downtown and soon after getting on the freeway, the IMA battery started charging!!! After 30-40 miles, the battery was near full and I headed home. Later I looked online for rear brake shoes and drums, since when I picked up the car, the rear was making bad noises and the rear brakes sounded metal on metal. Today I got a chance to look at the drums and the shoes were at around 40-50% and the star wheel was adjusted too tight making all the noise. So for $100 on a new battery and a little labor (adjusting the rear brakes) he has a car that is now 100%. When I called him, I said; "I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is your car is OK. The bad news is I can't afford it now." LOL I told him I'd keep the car over the weekend and drive it a little more to make sure, but I'm confident all is well. After driving the car a little bit, there is a learning curve driving a car with so little horsepower to keep the freeway speed a constant but after you drive it a little, you get over it. I actually enjoy the car and might have to make him another offer and sell my other vehicle. With the IMA assist, the car is actually pretty peppy around town. With the mIMA mod and SOC reset device (99mpg.com), you can have a really cool car!

I guess what I've learned from my experience with this IMA battery is to try replacing the 12v battery first. I can't believe so many IMA batteries fail without secondary causes or other "cures". But, yes, I'm completely a newbie here and maybe naive and just lucky but it's places like this we can all come together and brain melt.

Again, thank you MetroMPG and all contributors for this informative thread. I've truly learned a lot!
The Following User Says Thank You to meister_sd For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (12-30-2014)