View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
DaGuru
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry for ignoring my post for so long, but I've been busy with other things. Yes, I can understand why there are some naysayers out there and I've since learned that not all Excursions are seeing the same results, even after they've performed similar modifications. I can honestly say this in no BS...

To help address some of the feedback. This was a one-way trip from Florida to Texas along I-10. The Ex runs on Michelin LTX in 265/75-16. In my opinion, one of the biggest advantages we had on the trip the stock springs were pretty well trashed. So, the whole vehicle was sitting nice and low.

Shortly after getting back from that trip, I rebuilt the suspension (raising the truck ~2" over factory stock) and have never seen anything over 28mpg since. Because this vehicle is seldom used for anything outside of city driving, it's very hard to come up with decent highway numbers other than it does get a solid 18+mpg in town when my wife drives it. Or, around 16mpg when I drive it, which goes a long way in saying that driving habits can make a significant difference.

On the trip we took to NM from SE Texas last year, we saw a round trip average of 25mpg with a fair portion of the hwy driving at 70-80MPH and a rusted out front hub.

By the way, I've never trusted the overhead and didn't believe what it was displaying when I took the original picture; I validated it's output over a period of several months of constant record keeping and didn't post the pictures until I felt the accuracy was plausible. When taking trips where I want to track the economy, I always hand verify. My current daily driver is a "tweaked" F450 that gets a sold 12+change wherever it goes and it's overhead display is only worth using for checking the outside temp and compass!

Last edited by DaGuru; 07-21-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling and grammar