View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
It does look better than the old Gen1 CRV model, but it looks like it still has that little
down-wash intake slot across it.. The TE looks so wide, I get the feeling that it's a down-pointing defector fence. (aka draggy fence).

If I could make something like that, but solid from the hinge seam on back.. No under-flow.
Make it rounder in the back, extended a little more in the middle.
And very thin on the trailing edge. Thin as one sheet of coroplas

Would something like that move the separation point back a ways?
Since it seems logical that moving it back would result in a little less drag..

Or, maybe slope it downwards a little, like the beginning of a truncated boat-tail.?.
I see a lot of SUVs around these days with that sloped down look on the rear 'visor'..

I remember seeing a lot of 50s cars with a visor that look kinda like that spoiler,
only they were on the front windshield..
I wouldn't slope it down. If my understanding of the relavent aerodynamics is correct, you want a clean break of the air flow from the body to reduce drag. I think that's what a kammback does? Moving the separation point aft is the ideal.

A look at the typical spoiler found on the backs of Mini Coopers (a CRV on a smaller scale) shows how it probably should look:

I'd use filler to smooth the transition, but the basic idea is there. Going much beyond this, in length, may offer little improvement.