View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
I ran many gallons of WVO, in the hundreds. Aside from making note of how much WVO I added to a tank of fuel to track MPGs I never bothered to track it.

Detonation resistance in fuel is the same concept as octane in gasoline. Diesel, kerosene, vegetable oil or any fuel molecule that is in a long thin hydrocarbon chain or fatty acid chain typically do not handle being compressed and heated in the presence of air.
Naturally detonation resistant fuels are short hydrocarbon chains like those found in propane, butane and a lot of the HxCx chains found in gasoline tend to have good detonation resistance.
Fuel molecule that are in clumps or rings tend to have excellent detonation resistance, fuels like methane, methanol, most of your alcohols are clumps. Benzene, acetone are rings. Both groups have "octane" ratings well over 100.
Natural gas, methanol, ethanol and propane are what you typically fumigate diesel intakes with to boost power and/or fuel economy.

If you feed a low octane fuel in high enough concentration into a diesel it will all ignite well before the piston reaches top dead center.

Water injection has been used on carburetors to lean the mixture, cool combustion temps and reduce pumping losses there for boosting fuel economy.
These days we use computer controlled lean burn and replace the water with EGR.
The only data I have found shows experiments with water injection on gassers producing lower fuel economy.

FEeding an engine hot humid air appears to give better FE.