View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Around here most cars rust out before they reach 500,000 miles, but if rust is not an issue and you replace stuff as it wears out then it should last forever, right? but I see a lot of people who keep driving cars that are broken and who just ignore issues, I had my neighbor almost scrap her car because it needed new spark plugs! a car gets an issue and it gets traded in or sold.
If you can read, read your owners manual! it often tells you how often to check stuff over on your car, oil changes at 7,500 or 10,000 miles unless you are letting it idle a lot, increase tire pressure for highway driving, change your brake fluid so you don't get water rusting out the brake system, fix stuff that is causing excessive wear.
The lesson I'm getting from this is, play it safe and perform preventative, pre-emptive maintenance, even if the car isn't having issues! Better safe than sorry right? Maybe this fluid could've gone another couple dozen thousand miles, but what's $30? Cheap insurance right? I bet the vast majority of car issues and failures result from just not keeping regular simple maintenance! I mean the thing you said about brake fluid - who knew?

I guess when I go to the auto parts store, I see shelf and shelf of additives and special formulas and products designed to get more life out of your car and to protect it.

I guess my question is, other than regular maintenance, are there any other secrets to a 500,000 mile car?

Does anyone recommend any of those products they sell on shelf after shelf at the auto parts store?