View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The secret is to have the perfect environment- not too hot, not too cold, trips not too short or too long, nice smooth paved roads, clean air, no road salt. Easy on the gas pedal, easy on the brakes.

You seem so eager to dump chemicals in everything; I doubt they hurt, I doubt even more that they help. Just time and money down the drain most of the time.

There are some specific situations where a parts store chemical can help. I've used SeaFoam to free up a sticky lifter. The auto manufacturers, oil refiners, and myself ALL SAY that if there's no specific problem, there's no need for additives.

You're having a hard time letting go of the idling thing too. Try just getting in the car, getting all situated, turning the key, then going. You might like it.

Re: rusty brake lines: living in the rust belt, I have had to replace hard brake lines on numerous occasions; they all rusted out from the outside in. Changing the fluid every x years wouldn't have made a lick of difference; 10-12 years in the road salt is about all a person can expect to get. Perhaps changing brake fluid would have merit in a different environment that is more susceptible to condensation BUT again, as on the engine (even moreso) the brake system is SUPPOSED to be sealed i.e. it is NOT vented to the atmosphere so unless the little hands are always in there messing around it should be OK.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
TEiN (07-25-2012), thomason2wheels (08-22-2012)