View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole View Post
I mean the thing you said about brake fluid - who knew?
People who read their owners manual know, but like frank I've also had brake lines and many other parts rust from the outside, but I've also changed out brake parts that had rusted from the inside, putting grit in to the system and wearing out seals on the slave cylinders, so while I agree that every 3 years for brake fluid might be a bit often, but it does take on moisture, it does get dirty and there is no filter to pull that grit out that the system creates.

I'm not sure what other parts are wearing out that need some secret attention.

I use products like Sea Foam as well to keep things moving freely and to keep water from building up in my fuel system, an issue that is more common with motorcycles and less common with E10 gasoline as the alcohol sucks up moisture.

I also like keeping my car pretty close to stock, stock ride height, stock exhaust, stuff like that, because stuff like lowering a car makes it ride rough and you bottom out more on stuff like pot holes, over time that can be really rough on a car, over sized exhaust doesn't seem to help the engine run smoother.