View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
379Kcivic
EcoModding Lurker

I guess my 'unsafe' question really refers to merging on to the freeway? That's why I was wondering if the shorter gearing of a transmission made up of 1-3 or 4 gears from an Si/EX or even DX/LX (or some combination) would help acceleration that much.

I am really only wanting the lean-burn & VX 5th gear for my highway time which I believe could be achieved for nearly all of my trip to and from work & not so much concerned about the few miles I do in the city.

Right now I routinely drive between 63-65 and that's worked out ok. My stretch of freeway is very flat.

Of course I'm also open to some 'invisible' aero mods like mudflap delete, LRR tires, 1" suspension lowering, synthetic oil, partical grill block, max tires psi, etc. [B]So assuming a properly running VX on flat terrain running, say 65 mph average could yield 50-55 mph...do you guys think maybe 47-50 [/B]mpg would be feasible? Wouldn't the better (?) aero of the sedan partially offset the increased weight on the highway? If I can knock on the door of 50 mpg with those changes and running basically the same speed as I do now I'd be happy.

THANKS TO ALL