View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
People who read their owners manual know, but like frank I've also had brake lines and many other parts rust from the outside, but I've also changed out brake parts that had rusted from the inside, putting grit in to the system and wearing out seals on the slave cylinders, so while I agree that every 3 years for brake fluid might be a bit often, but it does take on moisture, it does get dirty and there is no filter to pull that grit out that the system creates.
Agreed, I have seen corrosion in wheel cylinders; in the rears you can see the pits on the bottom between the pistons; for some reason I've not noticed similar pitting in front calipers. It's not hard to imagine a little puddle of water there in those back ones, that must have been pulled in past the piston seals when they cool and got condensation because how would it migrate down there from the master cylinder with that nice "bladder seal"? I wonder if that moisture has caused any wheel cylinder issues, and how effective bleeding would be to get it outta there.

It should be a good thing to get down there and bleed them a bit every x number of years even if it's only to break those bleeder screws loose once in a while so that when you really need to open them, you don't round or break 'em off. If you're going to do all that work it might be even better to pull the drums too, and pop the pistons out to see if a light hone is warranted.