View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #179 (permalink)
lsemple
looking to get 100mpg

Si Civic - '93 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 41.16 mpg (US)
This setup uses relays for the existing clutch podal buttons. The clutch pedal has two buttons, one is for the cruise control release, the other is for preventing the car from starting up when it is in gear. I put both buttons on double-pole relays, then I put the start-up circuit on the same button as the cruise control release circuit, then used the now spare button (when clutch is fully depressed which used to be for preventing engine start if in gear), to kill the engine.

Now when I am driving, if my circuit is turned on via the button on the front of the control box I made, I can simply press the clutch to the floor, and the engine will die. after it dies I put the car in neutral and release the clutch and coast for as long as possible. To start it back up I simply press the clutch again, put it in gear, and then release the clutch pedal (same as push starting the car when your battery dies), the rolling motion of the car starts the car when it goes into gear.

It kills the engine by opening the circuit to the main relay of the vehicle. I found a 15 Amp fuse in the fuse box which says ECM (I believe), which seems to kill the car if removed. I simply took 1/4 inch spade connectors, trimmed them a little, and they slide right into the slots where the fuse belongs. then I ran that to a 30Amp relay (all I had), which opens the circuit when the clutch pedal button is pressed.

This momentary button disables my clutch pedal engine kill circuit. Now I can push the clutch to the floor without having to worry about the engine dying. This is useful when in stop and go traffic.

The button on the front is for turning off my clutch pedal circuit all together, same as button above, but not a momentary button.

Last edited by lsemple; 07-26-2012 at 01:57 AM..