View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Voltdriver
EcoModding Lurker

well, I think it is likely built a little more like a generator, and less like a normal engine. Generators sit idle for long periods of time, but are reliable and last a while. Will I get the same mileage out of this engine compared to an engine I exercised everyday? No. When I have 100,000 miles, and my engine has been running for less than 10k miles, do I expect a problem? No.

Quote:
Still confused as to what maintenance mode is for. I'd imagine the oil would all flow down to the bottom of the engine, and that the rubber pieces on the car would start to dry out, but you would think something like that would be done every week or so not 45 days?
All it does it run the engine, instead of discharging the batteries. Its like driving the car beyond its electric range. The engine kicks in. Same there here, except it doesnt wait for a discharge.

By the way, I've only managed to get this 1 time. I went about 2800 miles without using any gas. Then we had a cold snap come through, and about .1 gallons ruined the streak. I have made a point to try to give the engine some good time to operate about once every month when I take it to the lake, instead of my wife's CRV.

Come winter time, it will be running every day for a couple of miles or so. I get about 30-34 miles of range in the winter, and my commute is 35 miles each way. This is just a summertime problem

Last edited by Voltdriver; 07-26-2012 at 12:54 PM..