View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
In the end all motors transfer the heat to the air. John Bradley in his book The Racing motorcycle points out that an air cooled engine can get more than enough cooling with proper ducting. However under fuel economy contest conditions that would have to be tested, to conferm. I am of the opinion that and air cooled engine with an oil cooler that could be enlarged is a good candidate with proper ducting, however I have not demonstrated this myself so it is nothing more than a two bit opinion. What ever the cooling system; ducting is the key. One area that I have noticed is that in stop and go trafic even a liquid cooled engine heats up and the cooling fan comes on, this would suggest that an over sized or expandable sytem would be advised. one of the big cooling problems with behind the front wheel radiators is the large wake caused by the front wheel even inside a dustbin fairing, this suggests that in order to assist cooling the front fender should cover as much of the front wheel as posible even inside the fairing. An even better option is to duct the hot air into the wake behind the bike.
Some form of duel sport bike with a radiator high and on the side mit be an other idea, so that the radiator can be moved around... to optimise cooling.