View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Yes, but that means I'd have to stop at a gas station. I try not to stop at those places more than once a month
As it is hurricane season (until well into October, but traditionally the western Gulf is less affected after September) I've been topping off the tank weekly. I've not kept good records, only a peek at the average.

Also gives me a look at how my new life is composed in terms of fuel burn. The average mpg is down, but so is the consumption. I am going to start using SHELL exclusively (just too many reports on their higher fuel quality) so am including the few local stations that sell that brand in my errand running trip planning. Am also going to try increasing cetane via additive after a discussion elsewhere on the Net.

After a long overdue valve adjustment is done I'll take a run up to San Antonio for lunch one day when I'm off, but at 75-mph; a 320-mile trip. Starting to see some signs of injector problems [now at 186k miles], so first step is an Italian tune-up. But it also gives me a chance to better dial in my tire pressures, too, according to CapriRacer guidelines on pressure rise after 1.5/hrs at steady state speed (7,950-lb truck at present; fairly well 50/50 distribution FF/RR & port/starboard after 4-wheel weighing).

The heat is also a factor, so am looking for that rise of no more than 3-5 psi at both 75-mph and 100F+ temps and at 1,100-lbs heavier than stock (all within DODGE guidelines, but narrowed down to the Final Five psi). Failed tires are in evidence everywhere in Texas once daytime temps reach 97F on a regular basis. You can almost chart it by tire remains on the highway.

I don't wish to be on the side of the road in the event of a hurricane evacuation due to tire problems and a heavily loaded truck & trailer in tow. That's a different direction to take a thread on 52-mpg & green lights, but closer to "true" mpg for the fantastic work one of these trucks can do when called upon to be the family Conestoga.

Stop-n-go has quite a few connotations. 3-5 mph is the expected evacuation speed, and so is 3-5 mpg. The Honda Civic isn't the "winner" in these events, but the vehicle with the biggest fuel tank. One must be able to make it past 150-miles inland from the coast before breathing that sigh of relief that the availability of fuel and services is at a "norm".

What else are you planning to play with at this point, DD?