View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
AbeisAverage
EcoModding Lurker

Second time's the charm - '04 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.26 mpg (US)

Tengu - '11 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 sport
90 day: 19.73 mpg (US)
What is the preferred engine load?

I am confused as to whether the number is varied compared to what car you drive?

I used to drive a 1996 saab 900 and my friend had told me that when accelerating the preferred engine load is between 70-80. This seemed to make sense and the scangauge would give me reasonable results according to how hard I pushed the pedal.

Unfortunately the saab has been put out of commission and I have a car that's getting me through insurance limbo, it's a 2000 chevy malibu. I went from 4 cyl turbo 2.0 liter(saab) to 6 cyl 3.1 liter and I seem to be getting very different readouts for engine load. I have to really push the pedal to the metal to get the scangauge to read 70-80. I was wondering if this number varied according to car type or if I'm possibly missing out on something. I'm getting reasonable read outs for my mpg, avg, and mph, but it almost seems like something is wrong. I was going 45 and my engine load was at 20, that just didn't seem right to me.

Thought and comments are appreciated still new to this whole hypermiling thing potentially looking at a 4 cyl 2003 hyundai tiburon, it will be kind of nice in the fall because of where I'm going to school will consist of a majority of country road driving with a 55 mph speed limit. Thanks for the help guys.