View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #180 (permalink)
lsemple
looking to get 100mpg

Si Civic - '93 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 41.16 mpg (US)
Man this is nice,

unless I have the red button on my shifter knob pressed down, my car will die when I press the clutch down.

I've been coasting all over town like this.

After the car dies I have to turn back on the Main Relay for the car again by releasing the clutch pedal or pushing the red button, otherwise the odometer will stay turned off with the rest of the ECU stuff. This is because I put my circuit in series with the "ACG (s)" fuse in the fuse box which kills the main relay the engine (and the ECU).

To re-start the car I can either using the rolling momentum of the car to "push start" the car by letting go of the clutch pedal when the car is rolling and it is in gear, I use a higher gear to do this like 3rd or 4th most of the time. OR if I am stopped, I just simply put the car in neutral and press the clutch down 1/2 way and use the key to start the car, if I have the clutch pedal fully pushed down the ECU will be turned off by the button on the clutch pedal (good security system

I have to push the clutch half way because I moved the wires from the existing vehicles safety system.... (where the car will not start unless clutch is pressed) over to a second button on the clutch pedal which is used for shutting off the cruise control the moment the clutch is pressed (this button is normally closed, unlike the first clutch pedal button). And so the car wont start unless the clutch is slightly pushed down (1/2 way), and it won't start if the clutch is fully pushed down (because of my circuit killing the ECU (main relay)).

I've used The two cluch pedal buttons as trigger circiuts for 12V double pole relays (one relay for each button), so I can put more than one circuit per button because the relays are double pole. So one clutch pedal button can activate / deactivate 2 seperate circuits using the normally open/closed terminals found on the relays. The vehicle safety system for preventing engine start unless the clutch is fully pushed down is now on the same button as the cruise control disable button).

The relay for the clutch pedal button when the clutch is fully pressed down (this button is now used ONLY for my engine-kill circuit) is controlled by 3 Conditions. The clutch pedal button itself engages the relay, but if the the red on/off button on the front of my box housing the relays is off, or the red momentary push button on the shifter knob is pressed, the clutch pedal will not do anything. The on/off button opens the circuit, and the red momentary push button on my shifter knob opens the circuit, as it is a normally-closed momentary push-button.

So when I push the red button on my shifter knob, the clutch pedal engine kill mechanism will not work. This allows my to drive normally again in tight places (backing up, starting off, going uphill ect ect)..

or I can be driving on a slight decline and simply push the clutch down put the car in neutral, release the clutch, and the engine will have died, and the ECU will have been re-started after I release the clutch pedal and car is in neutral. This way I can be keeping track of my New mileage !!!!

WORKS LIKE A CHARM !

takes a bit of getting used to but this is really not very difficult,

For people with Honda's (I have a 93 honda civic Si hatchback), I can show you exactly which fuse I tapped into (using spade connectors in the fuse slots, and an inline fuse holder for the new location of the fuse).

see my previoius post for advantages / disadvantages of kill button on shifter knob vs kill button on clutch pedal.

Last edited by lsemple; 07-30-2012 at 01:50 AM..