View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
LocoJason
HocusPocusSlocusGocus

Slocus - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that for the first-gen focus (US 2000-2004) the sedan and wagon both have lower coefficient of drag than the 3/5door. The information I found may be wrong, as I see differing numbers all over the internet for some reason:
Sedan:
cD: 0.31
Frontal Area(est): 21.97 sq.ft.

ZX3
cD: 0.36
Frontal Area(est): 21.97 sq.ft

Wagon:
cD: 0.30
Frontal Area(est): 22.24 sq.ft.

Considering they all have the same front end and doors/mirrors, the only difference is the rear. I fail to understand why the wagon is that much better when the roof taper in the rear is minimal. I'm sure I'll spot one in a parking lot some day, make sure nobody is looking and then pull out the tape measure and my camera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Very cool. What are your other vehicles? I am interested in seeing your under panels, I am very interested in beginning that project after the winter.
Besides the Slocus, I have the following:
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - dyno 305whp - wife's car.
1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - dyno 453rwhp - track/fun car.
1988 Toyota Celica Turbo Alltrac (GTFour) - est. 200awhp - winter beater/rallyX car.

The underpanels I made are just covering the front of the nose, in front of the engine. Some sheets of black coroplast cut to fit. Many cars have factory-installed panels in that location... I still wonder why mine didn't.

Last edited by LocoJason; 07-30-2012 at 09:44 PM..