View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
CARGaerO t'ailer; a hitch-mounted boat tail (Pontiac Vibe)

I've decided to make a truncated boat tail for my Vibe.

It will be attached to the hitch-mounted cargo carrier that I made a while back. The first version of the cargo carrier, being made of angle iron and 1/2" plywood, was quite heavy. It also rode too low. It drug the ground a couple times when I used it.

So I made a "version 1.2" and it has worked much better. I used aluminum angle and paneling to make it lighter weight. I elevated the deck and angled it up slightly to keep it from dragging over bumps and inclines.

Then I saw the Audi with the hitch-mounted tail from the Netherlands. Well, I loved the aluminum construction, but realized it was out of the question once I priced some aluminum sheets at a nearby RV surplus yard. I nearly gave up on the idea until I remembered that Coroplast was only $12 a sheet. Hmmm... I started doodling...

Yeah, you saw it here first; the CARGaerO t'ailer. It's copyrighted.

I used seifrob's Aero Template Overlay tool to get a better idea of what I was after. I cleaned it up in MS Paint and it started to look promising.

I'm ending it 34 to 36 inches behind the rear bumper, to keep the cargo carrier deck accessible. The rear bulkhead will have a door to load luggage through. I will install a set of trailer lights and a license plate holder on the rear bulkhead/door. Construction will be almost entirely out of Coroplast.
Can I persuade the Coroplast to make the shape I'm envisioning? Will it be done before Weather Spotter and JethroBodine show up for the Labor Day Michiana Meet-Up? I'm not entirely sure. But I'm gonna try.

aerohead (08-02-2012), BamZipPow (07-31-2012), Cd (08-03-2012), Flakbadger (08-13-2012), HHOTDI (12-14-2012), KamperBob (08-01-2012), Vekke (12-15-2012), Weather Spotter (08-05-2012)