View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
papaslides

Question What kind of bike?

I am looking to buy a scooter/small motorcycle this summer to use as my primary commuting vehicle. I've read about safety and all that jazz, and really I feel confident that I'm just as likely to die in my car as on a bike, so I might as well get the near 100mpg out of a used scooter.

I am 200-215lbs (depending on the week) and am 6'1" so I know that a little 50cc scooter won't do it for me (I live in Ann Arbor Michigan, so have hills to contend with). For this reason I am looking into bigger bikes, but really need some solid suggestions. My favorite bike of all time is the Honda Passport (70cc, the bigger cousin to the Honda Cub... best selling bike of all time if I'm not mistaken). Because of this I'm trying really hard to find a good c70 or even better the more rare c91M (89cc version of the Cub/Passport)

What I really want to know is, will 70/90cc scooter be enough for my body? I don't need to go more than 40-45mph, and only have one difficult hill to climb on my commute.

What other bikes should I look into (I have done a little research into the s90 or "super 90" as well as the cd125)

I'd love to hear some thoughts, just remember I'm going for as close to 100mpg as possible, while still getting some hill climbing power and a top speed of at least 40-45mph.

Thanks.

Honda c90

Honda Super 90

Honda cd125

p.s. I'm going for a cool 'classic' look if possible, I don't mind doing some repairs and upkeep, and my price range is around 500-600$ (hence I'm looking at 1960-1980's bikes)

Also if anyone is selling such a bike in the Michigan area (I'm willing to travel) let me know.