View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
T-100 road test results

I got in late last night from New Mexico.Drove straight through,703 miles.
I delivered the cab-wing spoiler for Gilkison's 4RUNNER/APEX travel trailer and we were able to do a short shake-down run leading up to his 1,200-mile upcoming trip to Denver,Colorado and back.(another thread if we learn anything concrete).
On my trip I ran three segments,with 'normal' posted speed up to 70 mph max cruise speed out to Monahans (390-miles),then I was running 80-mph(3,050 rpm ) from there out to 60 miles out when a tire divorced it's tread,shredding part of the truck before finding it's way to the road bed.I was able to ease her over to the shoulder to enjoy some West Texas' sunshine and heat while I swapped the tire and dealt with the aero naughty bits which had just been killed by the Michelin 'grenade.'
I had to remove the passenger side rear wheel skirt as it had lost some of it's mounting hard points as well as that tire's lead fairing which was only half-attached by then.The bellypan and inner fender wells are toast in that region now and will have to be restored before I leave for Bonneville.(didn't have enough to do as it was).
I made it into Gilkison's running back down at 'normal' velocity.Shook Tire Co. of Las Cruces,NM was able to scrounge up a very-used 15" tire for me as a 'spare.'
After some 'fun' activities and the wing testing,I headed back,running straight in on a single tank from the gas station in Dona Ana,NM.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*overall round-trip was 1,379-miles
*fuel consumption was 42.698 gallons
*ave trip fuel economy was 32.296 mpg (including 60 miles @ 80 mph)
*compared to the truck's mpg baseline I saw a 38.611% improvement in mpg
*From SAE Paper # 649A this suggests a 64.35% drag reduction
*At 64.35% reduction the T-100 would have only 35.65% of original drag.
*From an original published Cd 0.44,the new wind-averaged Cd is 0.156.
*Test weight was 4,135 lbs.
*There was the monsoonal weather pattern going on with strong winds and many rain squalls going west on day one.
*Day 'two' was dry with much West Texas wind (think wind power capital of the U.S.A.)
*When I filled up back in Denton it was 98-degrrees F,29.87" corrected baro.,29% R.H.,wind south at 9 mph.It had been SW @ 10 mph,with gusts to 23 at Midland,Texas that afternoon.
*Max. speed (during evasive passing maneuver) 84 mph.
*All traffic was stuck in a 9-minute gridlock,zero mpg wait,going through the U.S.Border Patrol inspection station in NM.
*I ran with my window all the way down,the passenger window cracked about 1",and my side of the slider window wide open.
*No AC
*No accessories
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
At Cd 0.156 and 64.35% drag reduction,Hucho suggests that the top speed will rise 21.45%,from 96 mph,to 117 mph.
*I was missing the forward three sections of belly pan(no time to install them).
*I was missing the rear wheel trailing fairings.
*I was missing the boat tail tail light lenses
*I had the new body damage and those missing parts for 929 out of 1,379 miles of the trip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I can restore and harden everything by September 4,I may be able to eek out a little better performance.Out a time gotta go!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (08-01-2012), bikin' Ed (08-02-2012), Cd (11-02-2012), mcrews (08-06-2012), slowmover (08-05-2012)