View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
1.3 to 1.7 hours of labor is a small percentage of the total bill. The real issue is, you are putting close to 3k in replacing one component of the several major components in a fairly complicated 12 year old car.

Two points.

1-Do you want to gamble that no ther major component will fail.

2-What is the real value of the car, if you face a potential 3k repair bill.

These are your points to consider when you buy a used hybrid over a decade old.

I have told people for over 3 decades that when you buy an old used car, get the one that is simple with the fewest options.

Try $400 to replace a window regulator on an old Chrysler K car, probably more than the car is worth.

I've had people give me cars when they came to the point of flushing money down a toilet when repairs became a greater risk potential than replacement.

There are no 15 year old 200k mile hybrids to use as an example, but they are the most complicated cars and inevitably will be the most expensive to repair and keep on the road from year 15 and mile 200k to year 20 and mile 300k.

That is why I say buy an Echo versus a Prius if you are talking about year 2000 model cars. Not meant to start a firestorm of arguments, just an observation based on over 40 years of keeping them running.

regards
Mech
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Cd (08-02-2012), Ryland (08-02-2012), UltArc (08-02-2012)