View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
greasemonkee
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Idle speed is low, less than 600 RPM. Mine was barely above the 500 RPM mark when I got the car with under 28k original miles in 2008. Clean out the EGR passageways if they have not been done, almost certainly needs that at that mileage. Low idle speed minimises fuel waste when idling and the EGR function helps keep it running smooth, especially in lean burn. Mine would accelerate smoothly from 30 MPH in 5th gear at 1000 RPM, even with the AC running.

regards
Mech

The presence of EGR gasses only seems to be for emissions in the way this engine operates. I've driven mine for the past 60k miles with no gasses actually flowing into the engine, but the ecu thought the valve was open so it was adding a load of extra timing. Once I fixed the EGR valve it lost considerable part throttle power probably due to timing, but otherwise there was no appreciable change. If it weren't for the ECU I'd throw the thing away.

I've found that the egr valve sensor needs to be greased/cleaned periodically.

Make sure the pcv line is open to the crankcase, the engine gets a good portion of its idle air through there. While setting the idle speed follow the Helms idle reset procedure.

A basic vacuum gauge is a great tool for running on the max threshold of leanburn with a quick glance - not sure if the mpguino has vacuum or not, but I'm sure you'll be able to see where leanburn activates.
The Following User Says Thank You to greasemonkee For This Useful Post:
slownugly (08-06-2012)