View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #55 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
You're going after a 12V replacement and I'm going after a 48V eBike replacement for a lead-acid battery. In my case, this is my first thoughts:

Risky areas to resolve:
  • series shunt regulator - I've specified a 3.6V Zener but there is also a 3.3V that might be a better part. Bench testing will help resolve it. Also, I need to SPICE the Zener and current limiting resistor with both parts. From DOAX's charts, it looks like the 3.3V might be a better part because the current limiting resistor gives a slight, over-voltage to achieve peak charge.
  • MOSFET + Schottky relay - I may have the wrong symbol for the MOSFET and it isn't clear if I'll need a reverse biased Schottky to pass regen current into the string. I've also shown a directly driven gate and this might be a case where reverse bias of the MOSFET puts the gate and attached microcontroller at risk. My fall-back is a relay but "UGH!"
  • 30A vs 50A - the eBike has a 0.5 hp motor which should be ~15A sustained but I haven't measured the peak current draw.
I haven't seen a series, shunt regulator like this before but it is an obvious solution. Using ordinary Zeners means I need to model the thermal effects. In theory, as the part warms up, the Zener threshold voltage should go down which increases the draw from the peak cells towards a normalized voltage for all cells. In other words, helping to level-charge the peak cells. The key will be a collective heat-sink for the 15 Zeners.

I have not show thermistors for cell-strings. If I can have one for each of the LC6803s, it should be fairly straight forward. I did go with Linear instead of the TI part because I only need two instead of three chips and it has a 1/4W, built-in, per-cell, MOSFET. After all, what is 'time' to a computer and it may be this low, rate might be enough for cell balancing and not require the series shunt.

Bob Wilson
I'm no electrical engineer (far from it in fact), but I'm a bit confused why you are using the zener diodes? The LTC6803 has mosfets inside it to activate shunting to each cell at a much more precise voltage than what those zeners can do.

edit: I read the datasheet a bit more (hadn't read much at all) and see what you are doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	11285