View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
angle templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
This is a bit of a strange idea, and may waste a thread, but I am curious about using different sized tires for a FR vehicle.

If I put 16, or 17s on my front axle, maybe even LRR, would this have any benefit other than from being LRRs? 18 on the rear now.

I would think less air underneath, should be improved downforce, but do any more experience individuals have any ideas? I often think about it. Any lower and I think my chin spoiler will scrape, as I now must back into most curbed spots, but that is a small price to pay.
If you will make two cardboard templates,one at 16-degrees,and 10-degrees,you can use them to predict proper ground clearance.
The 16'er is for sliding in the front of the front tires.If any bodywork touches the template it will be shredded in ground strikes going up driveway ramps.
The 10'er is for the rear of the front tire and both front and back of the rear.If any part of the car touches,they are also vulnerable to ground strikes.
If you can anticipate the lower ride height with the 15" wheel/tire combo and there is no clearance issue,then your good to go.
Active suspension gives us the best of both worlds but tougher to pull off.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
mcrews (08-06-2012)