View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
on car testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time View Post
I wonder if it has ever been tried.

Mounting the model over the roof of a car and measure its drag. You can even place smoke generator oulets in front of it.

Of course you will need very tall mounting brackets to separate the car model from the speeding car by several feet, so the flow distortion from the car won't disturb the model.

Maybe you would also need a extremely streamlined car (kind of solar racer) to minimize flow distortion?
Maybe you'll need to place the car model over a board parallel to the ground to simulate ground effect.

I know it sounds weird but has it been tried or proposed before?
The Rutan Brother's Scaled Composites employs a rig which extends ahead of a pickup truck so as not to affect the source flow to the model.They have access to the taxi ways,if not the runways at Mojave Airport,California,and can do safe testing away from traffic.
I think you'd want a 'ground board' under the model and you might have to look into boundary layer thickness there,as some tunnels vacuum off some of this layer to more accurately portray 'real life' conditions.Alan Pope has a fine book on low-speed wind tunnels.Could be helpful.
Force measurements might be a real challenge if the 'laboratory' itself is displacing around in space.
Tuft testing would reveal flow separation and that would be valuable,but you could do that at full-scale on any vehicle.