View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #61 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The aluminum and aluminized copper tabs are simply extensions of the anode and cathode. You might find this video interesting...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...deo-15502.html
I haven't seen it yet but now it makes sense. The higher, electromotive potential of lithium protects the aluminum. . . . makes a lot of sense.

I'm still reading up on aluminum spot welding and it is not as easy as I first thought but not impossible either. My hypothesis is a rectangular, tungsten tip joining on the edges of two sheets will give the heat concentration needed to make a nugget joining the two. A capacitive discharge, short-length, welder should then spot weld the metals together. Testing will prove the approach.

One other interesting approach is to use a pair of sheet steel strips, "|<tabs>|", around the two tabs and spot weld the strips "|<tabs>|". The steel provides the resistance and heat to hold and form a proper weld puddle between the aluminum and copper. Certainly a clever approach but I have to admit I'm looking back at your mechanical clamp with more insight.

Driving home, the answer came, aluminum press rivets:
  • Equalize cell charge
  • Clean tabs
  • Fold tab over end conductor
  • Rivet and/or clamping machine screws (solder if practical)
  • Align second tabs
  • Fold tabs
  • Drill first rivet hole
  • Press counter-sunk rivet
  • Run balance wire around rivet and out side
  • Drill and seat rest of rivets.
  • Stack next cell and repeat riveting.
Pressing the counter-sunk, aluminum rivets provides a permanent joint. The rivet shaft diameter determines how much current each can carry, not counting the current through the mated surfaces.

A 25-pin D connector can easily handle the 16, sense wires. For cell balancing, there is no need for more than 1 amp. There will still be spare pins to operate the isolation MOSFET.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-07-2012 at 08:00 PM..