View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #62 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
You could certainly replace your lead acid battery with these cells. I don't think you'll ever come out ahead financially though, if you do you'll at least be on your next vehicle by then. Thankfully lithium batteries last longer than lead acid, so this might actually be possible...
Thanks for the great response, especially the attempt to put numbers to this project. I've been keeping my eye out for a decent clamp-meter on Ebay, but it seems DC amps aren't all that common on these devices and the ones that have the function are pricey.

I'll be converting some of my lights to LED to save some watts and improve safety and reliability. Still, I imagine you are right about a luxury car consuming more power.

I'd like the project to pay for itself eventually, but it's not the only reason I want to do it. Learning about the technology and tinkering are fun for me and worth the price.

I've also got an aluminum frame from an electric reverse-trike that I built in high school that I've considered digging up again. It was built to compete in a 1hr distance race against other schools and used lead acid batteries. These cells seem like the perfect power source for the car if I decide to build it up again. I for sure would build it if I could make it street legal for my commute. It would do 55mph with a 2hp electric motor!

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!