Thread: Rav4 EV info
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Rav4 EV info

Just was reading an article on wards about the Rav 4 EV and thought I'd share some info since its a bit of a different beast than we normally see as an EV.

Toyota Defends RAV4 EV Pricing as Launch Nears | Sales & Marketing content from WardsAuto

Of interest to me were:

Quote:
...goes on sale in late summer with a pre-credit price of $49,800.

Thanks to a number of tweaks from the base RAV4, including exterior mirrors from a Korean Camry, a flat-paneled underbody and larger rear spoiler, the EV has a 0.30 coefficient of drag, down from 0.35 Cd in the gas model on par with a sedan, Toyota says.

By employing widespread use of light-emitting diodes, including vertical LED daytime running lights, Toyota says there is a 58% reduction in "normalized" wattage use from the current RAV4, comparable to a 132-lb. (60-kg) weight loss and lending a near 1% increase in driving range.

Through various heating, ventilation and air-conditioning ECO modes, drivers can lower the power drain on the battery pack. By using ECO LO and ECO HI, which reduce the level at which the blower, compressor and electric heater operate, a driver can cut his power consumption by up to 18% and 40%, respectively, Toyota says.

The RAV4 EV has two charging modes: standard and extended. The extended mode provides a 113-mile (182-km) range, with the battery rated at 41.8 kWh. Standard mode is good for a 92- mile (148-km) range, and the battery charges to 35 kWh.

The charge mode info I find interesting. 35 kWh for 92 miles of range makes for 380 wh/mile. A friend recently bought a Leaf and is currently getting a real world 213 Wh/mile, not too far from double the electric mileage!