Thread: Rav4 EV info
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The two big gripes I've heard of it so far are both around the price, people saying that they will never recoup the cost if you compare to a Toyota Prius or a compact car and that $49,000 is just to much money for a vehicle.

My response to those comments is that if a compact car or a Prius fit your life and your needs then why would you bother buying an SUV in the first place??? it's like saying that it costs so much more then a moped and it's cost per mile is more then a moped... you have to compare same vehicles to same vehicles! compare it to the life time cost of owning a gasoline Rav4, just like comparing the Leaf to the Versa is pretty fair because they are based off the same vehicle.

Now my 2nd point was the over all life time cost of vehicle ownership, with EV's you tend to pay up front while with gasoline your cost is spread over the entire life of the vehicle, but EV's tend to still be cheaper to own, so look at that $49,000 price tag and ask why you would want to own a gasoline SUV that is going to cost you even more over it's life time, some people also say that no one will ever pay that much for an electric SUV, but people have! 10 year old Toyota Rav4-ev's have sold on Ebay for $50,000 used!!! if no one is willing to pay that much for a brand new one then why are 10 year old used ones selling for so much?

Nissan is also doing the same thing with their charging, where if you want to have the battery pack last as many years as possible you tell the car that you can live with a reduced range.

The reduction in electrical load being equal to 132lb/60kg of weight loss is really interesting, I wish they would have given a wattage figure.