View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time View Post
IMO we won't see any production cars, nor even limited production cars, with both front and rear fender skirts like those you see in movies about the future unless cars get some active suspension to compensate their narrower track (width among tire centers).

Even a small decrease in track can have hugely detrimental consequences on handling, comfort and even safety.
Smaller wheels would not be feasible IMO as current and future economic crises result in poorly maintained roads all over the world.

Probably they will even need an active suspension capable of leaning into corners.
I'm not sure what you mean by "active suspension to compensate their narrower track"? Regardless, the variation in track between models from different manufacturers even in the same size class, let alone between different classes, indicates the opposite: it does not appear to have significant safety or handling ramifications, or my Civic (front track: 57.8 inches) would be inherently unsafer than my old 2002 Viper (front track: 59.8 inches). Also, on high-performance cars like that Viper, the rear track is more than an inch wider than the front, suggesting that a lower front-to-rear ratio is not only feasible, but desirable sometimes for performance reasons. I think the real reasons we don't see front skirts on production cars are the same as why we don't see rear skirts anymore: cost, ease of maintenance, and, perhaps most importantly, looks.