View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #74 (permalink)
wainair
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Do you keep track of any of the data for the electrical usage? How does the Volt pay for it's road taxes?
Though I haven't been keeping a record of my energy usage I can say this. A full charge on a Volt is 12kwh. My Hydro at night costs $0.07 per kwh. So a full charge is roughly $0.84 for me. I would guess as a year round average I've averaged 45miles to a charge. So figuring that my electricity cost would be $0.0186 per mile on a average discharge . I've driven the car under EV power for 9100 miles since owning it so my electricity costs would be $169.26.

As for road taxes... are you suggesting that people who drive more efficient cars should be penalized and have to pay an additional tax because they are not buying as much gas and therefore are not paying all the additional non sales taxes they have heaped on gas? Where I live there are sales taxes and income taxes. Both of which I pay, including the taxes I pay on electricity. If where you live your government has sold you on the idea that an additional road tax per gallon on top of the tax they collect on gas pays for the roads I'd suggest you go ask them for the numbers. I'm positive you will find that money goes all sorts of places other than just the roads if they can account for it at all. They get enough of my money in the taxes they get now. I don't think any sensible person thinks that they need suggestions for more ways to tax us, especially as some sort of punishment for driving a more efficient, more environmental, less consuming vehicle! What would you suggest? Maybe a percentage scheme that the percent of "road" tax you pay goes up based on the mileage numbers you post/report to them? Because that's what it sounds like to me and that has to be the most daft thing I have ever heard. Give your head a shake.