View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #71 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Your efforts really helped me an in particular:
Quote:
At 1C dis/charge I saw a pretty constant 4F above ambient in cell temperature. The cell heated up very uniformly. The terminals I thought would heat up as well, but they always remained at a lower temperature than the cell. This may be due to the large aluminum blocks on them.
I'm going to treat the tabs as heat radiators as much as possible. Compared to the poly bag, they should do a reasonable job of dumping the latent heat from the battery. When I get my cells, I will test this by using an IR thermometer to see if there is any detectable temperature gradient from the tabs down. The video suggested this approach for heat management.

I have a boat-load of things to test but I suspect that if I group balanced cells, I can detect the earliest dV/t drop. I may also go with the Prius trick and measure voltages in pairs which a single battery monitor chip can handle. I'll still go with the per-cell, Zener balancing array but the voltage monitoring is just to disable the string when the first cell pair begins to fall off the discharge edge. <grins>

Every time I can simplify the design, the parts count and risks go lower. <grins>

Bob Wilson