View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #78 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
To add to what Sendler posted, when CU tested the Nissan Leaf they reported a 15% loss in energy in charging the battery. I know my electric provider also increases the rate for excess consumption, which would be the case if my average KWH use increased beyond the 1300 KWH we currently average. The additional charges and taxes applied to the basic use rate can make a dramatic difference in cost as well as the losses in charging which means it takes more power to put a specific amount of energy in the battery.

Not meant as a real criticism of the Volt or Leaf. I would love to own a Leaf and our circumstances would be almost ideal for an electric car. Convicing the wife is another matter altogether, and until she comes around to more economical thinking, I will ride my bike and average 88.5 MPG which puts me at less than 4 cents a mile fuel cost in a vehicle that cost me $2300 to purchase, with insurance at $80 a year and taxes almost not worth mentioning. The taxes I would have to pay to purchase a Volt would provide me with enough fuel to travel about 30,000 miles on my bike. The property taxes would be greater than my annual fuel expense on the bike.

regards
Mech