View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Whitey
EcoModding Former Lurker

2018 VW Alltrack S Manual - '18 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack (Manual) S
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
Ha!

OK. So I just read that article and got a good chuckle out of it.

The author states:

Quote:
The algorithm the trip computer uses is not based on how much fuel is actually consumed, but on some calculated value based on airflow past the mass airflow sensor, manifold vacuum and engine rpm. And it's not accurate under these coasting conditions. That's why when we report fuel economy here at PM, we never just print the numbers we read off the trip computer's display: We use the gallons pumped into the tank divided by the mileage on the odometer—which we check against a handheld GPS.
But you'll notice: He doesn't "just print the numbers," he just doesn't print the numbers!

Anyway, I'll put my car in gear before I'll use the brakes to slow down. Using zero fuel to slow down makes sense--especially if coming to a stop. Otherwise, wasting momentum is wasting fuel.

I would just say to the author that my "mileage on the odometer divided by the gallons pumped into the tank" over the past 14 months shows no doubt that he is mistaken--even though Scangauge agrees with me.

-Whitey

Last edited by Whitey; 08-09-2012 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: I use a different calculation for MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitey For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-10-2012)