View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
I know I'm late to the discussion (and I don't care for it when folks drag up old threads, but this one ain't too old at < 1 month), but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneburg View Post
From what I've read, one of the big reasons some fuel saving techniques, such as pulse & glide or simply driving much slower than the rest of traffic, are not employed is what other drivers think of the hypermiler.
IMO, using such techniques in traffic is dangerous, and dare I say it, anti-social. Many folks think that "speed kills," but what is more dangerous is speed differential. What if a good proportion of the traffic stream were trying to use pulse & glide? Not only would it not be possible (how would you possibly coordinate that?), it would be dangerous and would probably make everyone's efficiency worse. While I will drive below the limit on secondary roads when there's no other traffic around, doing so in traffic is dangerous simply due to physics, not to mention road rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneburg View Post
Other drivers on the road with you would probably do the same thing you or I would do if we saw a student driver on the road. They would dismiss all of your 'driving techniques' as you being a student driver. This would allow the hypermiler to use his/her fuel saving techniques without the fear of enraging their fellow motorists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrad View Post
Student Driver badging or driving with your hazards on could prove useful...
What if everyone did those things, though? IMO, this is akin to pathogens developing drug resistance due to over-use of worthwhile and otherwise helpful drugs. I don't think one should use such things if the situation really doesn't apply.