View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
1carnut
EcoModding Lurker

Sparky - '07 Toyota Prius Base

Voltage_kwh - '18 Chevy Volt LT
90 day: 151.04 mpg (US)

Voltage_gas - '18 Chevy Volt LT
90 day: 43.38 mpg (US)
VX diagnosis help - Solved!

I have a 94 VX that died on me on the way home. I'm thinking electrical and might suspect the ignition switch but I thought that I would reach out here since there is so much knowledge. Here is what it did. Started fine leaving work and I had driven about 3 miles when I felt what seemed like a miss but when I looked I noticed that the tach was at 0. I turned onto a side street and when I pushed in the clutch, it was indeed not running. I put it back in gear and tried to kick start it. The tach came back up for a couple seconds and I thought it would be okay but then back down again and I had to coast it to a stop and it wouldn't start. All dash lights look normal and it cranks over just fine. Has gas and I believe it's getting gas. The thing that makes me suspect the ignition switch is that a couple of times when turning it back towards the off position between attempts, the motor kind of tried to start and it even fired for a couple seconds one time. I don't know how the ignition switch comes apart exactly. I have the cover off but not sure what's next. I thought of checking grounds but if it cranks, can they be bad? Fuses? If anyone can give me a step by step of things to check or if you have had a similar issue, I would really appreciate any insights.

Last edited by 1carnut; 08-11-2012 at 01:15 PM..