View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
JJW
EcoModding Lurker

The Crimson Jellybean - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

White's Elephant (in Black) - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
When I had my 97 3-cyl, I didn't see mpg numbers in the 50s until I had the timing dialed in (about 4-6 degrees advanced from stock) and I replaced the stock ignition coil, but I think my stock one was duff to begin with. Also check your alignment and tire condition.. I gained a few mpg back after an alignment in mine, my toe was out. If you really want to wring the miles out of it, drop some of the weight, the rear seat comes right out as well as the plastic side panels and particle board, and I found that made a noticeable difference. Replacing them with a light flat panel also increased the utility of the car for me. I also got mileage benefits from 1.5" drop Intrax springs, newer LRR tires, and underdrive pulleys. Add a grill block and side skirts and I bet you'll work your way towards 70mpg. Two hints from a former Metro owner and fan.. If it pops out of 5th, sometimes its not transmission wear, there is an adjustment that can be made. The other tip is to be careful if you switch to synthetic oil, my car was one of those rare but real cases where the synth, even after a few flushes, loosened sludge, clogged a journal, and starved a main bearing. I also broke the steering rack from pushing the car too hard (Intrax springs+Swift GT sway bar upgrades+all poly bushings+bilstein struts=highly efficient go-kart!) so be nice to it and remember to thank CAMI for all the extra cash in your pocket not spent on gas!