View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
There are less than 10 boat tails on this forum with 1,400 active members. That's less than .8% where pretty much everyone is concerned with fuel economy.
If a boattail were a $1500 option on a new hatchback and put you from 40mpg to 50 while your friends and enemies talk behind your back, would you buy it?

If a boattail were to cost you $500+ and take 200 hours of fairly skilled labor and body work while alienating you from your regular social groups, would you do it?

If a boattail were to be cobbled together (no offense to anyone) from random cheap or free materials while displaying a surface finish akin to a spray painted rock, who but we FE nuts is going to want it on their cars? We do because we understand the implications. Most people wouldn't be caught dead.

The fact is that to make a really quality looking boat tail (hat tip to 3Wheeler) you are looking at some SERIOUS time and money investment for a few extra MPG. The only way I see this working out for people is if:

1. You buy it new from the OEM designed to "work" with the car and removable when not needed, ie, a different hatch on your hatchback, seeing it as a ten year investment.

2. Make it fashionable like it was in the 30's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron22 View Post
People buy what they think looks good. Get enough scifi movies to have them in and maybe people will think they are cool.
Exactly. Cars are on the downturn right now as a hobby and people don't really look up to them for inspiration. Educate people and make economy something desirable- and for Dog's sake stop calling it "economy"! It sounds so cheap, like you're buying silverware from Goodwill! To make boat tails acceptable they're going to need a pretty substantial media spin.

You'll also need lots of accountability on aero claims. As we saw in the 80's (well you did, I was a baby) lots of companies like to make big claims or to put up a facade of progress while keeping things status quo. It's easier for them that way. You can't slide backward into better aesthetics and worse design/aero. You can't rely on EFI and engine shutoff to save your butt.

Right now, you can rely on consumers to blindly trust their emotional reactions.

Last edited by Sven7; 08-10-2012 at 12:01 PM..