View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
LeanBurn
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
mcrews:
Go take a nap. I was simply trying to summarize the bits and pieces of details to get a clearer picture. I have no idea what you are referring to "attached at the hips"... it's the internet dude.

Fact: The OP drives a Scion...ie a Toyota derivative with the same engine/transmission as my brothers 07 Corolla with which I am very familiar and have done these same tests. Since it was introduced, the functions of throttle by wire in most Toyota's pretty much all behave the same, in the same token the shared function of deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO) completely cuts the fuel while slowing the car, while coasting in neutral does not. A scan-guage that is connected to a vehicle that has DFCO will clearly show that it does consume less fuel, in comparison to coasting in neutral engine on.

Fact: It is spelled presumptive....and given the facts that were presented with in most cases we all presume some things given the nature of forums and such.

I am not a transmission expert by any means, never claimed to be either. The practice of coasting in neutral causing damage were already addressed, I was simply trying to find the logic in the practice of neutral coasting engine on considering the nature of the vehicle and my experience with a very similar car. A lot has changed since 2002, even with Nissan/Infinity.