View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Update

I got the finishing touches done. I added a "pre-filter" and also painted the end.

I was somewhat concerned with getting insects and debris up into the filter. After running for two weeks (600 miles) with the ram intake, I was happy to see that when I opened the airbox back up, the main air filter visually seems identical to what it was originally. Nevertheless, I came up with a good idea to make sure I keep stuff out of the main air filter. At first I was going to use a piece of window screen, but then I was an old washable plastic mesh furnace filter that I had lying around. I cut out a piece, like this:

Then I cut out a donut of plywood, and used it to sandwich the furnace filter piece against the toilet flange:

Here's what it looks like inside the airbox. I took the main air filter out just for this picture so that you can see it.

I also got some Krylon Fusion black spray paint that can be used on plastic. I used that to spray paint the end of the pipe so it's less visible. Here's the finished, near-invisible look:

As far as the FE numbers, I think there is an advantage. My average of the last ~600 miles with the ram CAI installed, I've averaged 50.28 mpg on the overhead. This is a 4.1% improvement over 48.29 mpg for the previous 600 miles. Both periods had similar tempeatures (79 deg F avg temp). I don't think it's fair, however, to ascribe the whole 4.1% improvement to the intake. Recently, I've really racheted up the hypermiling intensity in an effort to break the single tank range record. If I had to guess, I'd say probably 1% FE improvement from the intake, but it's hard to say much of anything definitative about such small differences.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 08-12-2012 at 06:13 PM..