View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
02ws6
EcoModding Apprentice

Just so I can contribute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
All I know is that every CRX originally came from the factory with a cable-operated clutch. I don't know if that was also true for the other Civic-based cars.

-soD

This is correct. All D-series transmissions went to a hydraulic slave cylinder clutch in 1992-2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
You can DIY on the harnesses and such, or there are several retailers that can help. For more $$, of course. I think the guys at Rywire : can get you a wiring harness, but it does come at a cost.

The HF transmission (be sure it's an HF one, the 88-91 CRX/Civic transmissions are tough to tell apart from the outside!) and the CRX chassis are built to go together. The trans should bolt up to any D-series engine as far as I know. I'm not sure if the mounts on the Y5 are the same as the ones on the A6/etc. If so, then you're golden.

The drive axles in the HF, and the hubs and brakes, are different from the other CRXes. They're lighter-duty and lighter-weight. I think the regular axles will plug into the HF trans, but I am not certain. If they do, then use whatever axles go with the chassis (and therefore hubs and brakes) of the car you get.

The guys at CRX Community Forum • Index page have a lot of knowledge of these cars. You could do worse than looking around there for a while.

-soD
Since most all D-series engines are the same you will need the engine mounts to fit the chassis. The CRX chassis code is "ED" but the 88-91 civic "EF" will also work. The 92-95 civic is referred to as an "EG" and the 96-2000 is "EK". The engine mounts will be different and will not work. The biggest trick to making the mounts work is to make sure and get the hard metal mount that bolts directly to the block on the timing belt side. You'll also wind up trimming the timing belt cover to make it work.. No biggie..

The major differences in the HF is the lighter hubs which do use smaller axles. The transmission side of the axle is the same on all D-series transmissions but again you need axles to fit the chassis.

I thought I might run into an issue with using the D15Z1 flywheel and a CRX Si clutch. But honda did it again and turns out all the disc diameters are 210mm..

Minus the wiring, there is nothing really needed to be customized for this swap.. Its a basic plug and play kind of deal. Now ask me why I've taken almost 2 years on mine and Im not quite sure I could answer you.. lol.. Finding all these parts and the car is gonna be quite the task.. From my own experience, try not to buy an empty shell.. You'll pretty much get nickle and dimed to get all the parts required. In NC. If youre gonna look for a decent looking car expect to pay about $2500 range.. As long as the quarter panels are dent and rust free you'll be set.

Also take note of the differences in year models... Some of it may or may not be important to you..

CRX Community Forum • View topic - 88-91 USDM Crx Differences

Pay attention to the weights and the mounting of the seatbelts...
The 88 CRX is kind of a black sheep in many areas..

I personally wanted a 90-91 Si because of the sunroof and 4wheel disc brakes and the interior looks better than the 88-89 IMO..

Good luck hunting! If I put my 3rd CRX together in time maybe I can sell it to ya! lol...

And to add... Just because Im trying to sell one.. lol.. You CAN put a 92-2000 hydraulic clutch transmission in a CRX... But the cost of doing this is very ineffective IMO.. There are companies out there that make the hardware to do this though....

http://hasport.com/store/index.php/m...-ef/efdhc.html

Last edited by 02ws6; 08-13-2012 at 12:50 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 02ws6 For This Useful Post:
scivicblu83 (08-14-2012), some_other_dave (08-13-2012)